Apply for California State Geotechnical Exam
- Verify you have the required qualifying experience
- Submit your application for licensure to the Board once you have sufficient qualifying experience.
- The exam is administered twice a year, however can only be taken once per year.
- There is no final filing date. Applications will be accepted and processed on a continuous basis.
You must allow the Board a minimum of 60 days from when you submit your application to process your application. Do not contact the Board within the initial 60-day period to ask about the status of your application. If you have not received any communication from the Board after the initial 60-day period, you may contact the Board's Licensing Unit at (916) 263-2222 or
If you wish to have proof that your application was received, you need to use a delivery method that provides tracking and delivery confirmation.
- You will be notified of your exam date once your application is approved by the Board.
RE-TAKING THE STATE GEOTECHNICAL EXAM
- Submit the Re-Examination Form and appropriate exam fee to the Board. You must submit your Re-Examination Form to the Board a minimum of 30 days prior to the published date for the next administration of the Geotechnical exam.
- If submitted as described above, you will receive an email with an Authorization to Test and instructions for how to schedule your exam seat.