Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists
NEW AND IMPORTANT UPDATES
- UPDATED OCTOBER 22, 2021 - Applicants for the Civil Engineer and Professional Land Surveyor licenses – In an effort to ease the transition from its legacy system to the new BPELSG Connect online portal, the Board has decided to temporarily suspend acceptance of both initial and re-exam applications for the civil engineer and professional land surveyor licenses during the month of October 2021 and the beginning of November 2021. Any paper applications, initial and re-exam, for these two license types received after September 30, 2021 will be returned to the sender in its entirety. The Board anticipates beginning the second week of November 2021 that all initial and re-exam applications for the civil engineer and professional land surveyor licenses will be submitted and processed online through BPELSG Connect. Applicants that have previously submitted paper applications and are currently in review within the legacy system will continue to be processed in that manner without change until such time as the applicant submits payment and a request to sit for any of the California state Civil Engineering exams or the California Professional Land Surveyor exam.
About BPELSG Connect
In September 2020, the Board launched Phase 1 of its new integrated application and license management system. The first phase of the Board’s system, known as BPELSG Connect, successfully transitioned the Engineer-in-Training (EIT) and Land Surveyor-in-Training (LSIT) application process to an online process which can be managed both by the applicant and Board staff and additionally launched a new online complaint submittal process. In January 2021, Phase 2 launched which included the ability for all current license holders to renew their license(s) through the Connect online portal. And in June 2021, Phase 3 launched with functionality extending the ability for applicants to submit applications for Professional Engineer licenses which do not require a state exam component.
- ANNOUNCED OCTOBER 22, 2021 - As a result of the continued uncertainty of the COVID-19 pandemic, the location of the Spring 2022 administration of the ASBOG Fundamentals of Geology (FG) and Practice of Geology (PG) examinations will be held in Sacramento, CA. Ongoing travel restrictions and exam location challenges have made it difficult to establish and plan the administration of the exams in Southern California. We understand the importance of these examinations and apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. The location of the Spring 2022 ASBOG exams will be posted on the Board website once it is confirmed.
- UPDATED JULY 8, 2021 - FRAUD SCAM ALERT - The Board and the Department of Consumer Affairs have been made aware of a fraud scam targeting licensees. Read the Department's Fraud Scam Alert for more information about the scam and tips on how to avoid and report fraud scams.
- ANNOUNCED JANUARY 6, 2021 - Expedited Licensure for Refugees, Asylees, and Holders of Special Immigrant Visas.
Starting January 1, 2021, individuals in the following categories who apply for licensure by the Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists may seek an expedited licensure process.
- Refugees pursuant to section 1157 of title 8 of the United States Code;
- Those granted asylum by the Secretary of Homeland Security or the Attorney General of the United States pursuant to section 1158 of title 8 of the United States Code; or,
- Individuals with a special immigrant visa that have been granted a status pursuant to section 1244 of Public Law 110-181, Public Law 109-163, or section 602(b) of title VI of division F of Public Law 111-8.
In order to receive the expedited licensure process, individuals must provide documentation of their refugee, asylee, or special immigrant visa status when submitting their application package. Please note that this does not mean a license or certification must be issued, but simply that the process will be expedited. Click here for information and documentation examples.