Take and pass the NCEES Principles & Practice (PS) exam
Apply for California State Land Surveyor Exam (PLS)
- Verify you have the required qualifying experience
- Submit your application for licensure to the Board once you have sufficient qualifying experience.
- The exam is administered twice a year
- There is no final filing date. Applications will be accepted and processed on a continuous basis.
You must allow a minimum of 60 days from when you submit your application before you contact the Board to ask about the status of your application. If you have not received any communication from the Board after the initial 60-day period, you may contact the Board's Licensing Unit at (916) 263-2222 or
If you wish to have proof that your application was received, you need to use a delivery method that provides tracking and delivery confirmation.
- You will be notified of your exam date once your application is approved by the Board.
RE-TAKING THE STATE PLS EXAM
- Submit the Re-Examination Form and appropriate exam fee to the Board. You must submit your Re-Examination Form to the Board a minimum of 30 days prior to the published date for the next administration of the state-specific PLS exam.
- If submitted as described above, you will receive an email with an Authorization to Test and instructions for how to schedule your exam seat.
Click HERE for application instructions and forms.