The following references are for use in the open-book Traffic Engineering examination.
- Highway Capacity Manual, 6th Edition (Volumes 1, 2, and 3, excluding 4)
- Caltrans Traffic Manual, Chapter 7, Traffic Safety Systems, September 2008, and Chapter 9 on lighting (Sections 9-06 through 9-13)
- Caltrans Highway Design Manual, 6th Edition
- California MUTCD 2014
- ITE Manual of Transportation Engineering Studies, 2010, Second Edition
- ITE Trip Generation, 9th Edition, 2014 (3 volumes)
- ITE Transportation Planning Handbook, 2009, 3rd Edition
- ITE Manual of Traffic Signal Design, 1998, 2nd Edition
- ITE Parking Generation, 4th Edition, 2010
- Caltrans Standard Plans, 2015 Edition
- National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP) - Signal Timing Manual Second Edition
Note: There is no significance to the order of the books in the above listed reference list.