IMPORTANT: READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY
All applicants are required to supply the Board with a full set of fingerprints upon submittal of an application for licensure/certification. If the applicant has submitted fingerprints with a previous application to the Board, resubmittal with a subsequent application is required if it has been 24 months or more since the last submittal of fingerprints. Please view the Fingerprinting FAQs for further information and instructions.
- Certification as an Engineer-in-Training (EIT) is the first step required under California law towards becoming licensed as a Professional Engineer.
- Certification as a Land Surveyor-in-Training (LSIT) is the first step required under California law towards becoming licensed as a Professional Land Surveyor.
- Each applicant must register for the Fundamentals examination on the NCEES website, pay the NCEES examination fee, and sit for the Fundamentals examination. Examinees who pass the examination apply to the Board (and pay the application fee) to be issued a certificate as either an Engineer-in-Training or a Land Surveyor-in-Training, whichever is appropriate.
- NOTE: Neither U.S. Citizenship nor California residency is required; however, disclosure of your Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number is mandatory. Your application will not be processed without it. Additional information is located on the Information Collection, Access and Disclosure page.
2. CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Engineer-in-Training (EIT) certification applicants must have
Three years or more of postsecondary (college-level) engineering education.
Three years or more of engineering-related work experience.
A combination of postsecondary (college-level) engineering education and engineering-related work experience totaling three years.
Previously passed the NCEES Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
- Land Surveyor-in-Training (LSIT) certification applicants must have
Two years of postsecondary (college-level) land surveying education.
Two years or more of land surveying-related work experience.
A combination of postsecondary (college-level) land surveying education and land surveying-related work experience totaling two years.
Previously passed the NCEES Fundamentals of Surveying (FS) exam.
- Fingerprinting Requirement: EIT and LSIT applicants are required to submit fingerprints upon submittal of an application for certification. If the applicant has submitted fingerprints with a previous application to the Board, resubmittal with a subsequent application is required if it has been 24 months or more since the last submittal of fingerprints. For detailed information regarding the fingerprinting requirement and process, please visit the Fingerprinting Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
3. HOW TO REGISTER AND APPLY
- You must first register for the appropriate Fundamentals (FE or FS) examination on the NCEES website, pay the NCEES examination fee, and sit for the Fundamentals examination. Once you pass the FE or FS examination, you must use BPELSG Connect to submit an application and the $75.00 application fee to obtain certification as an EIT or LSIT.
4. HOW TO CHECK THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION
- Once you submit your application for an EIT or LSIT certificate through BPELSG Connect you will be able to monitor the status of the application review, address any deficiencies, and communicate with Board staff by logging into your user profile.
Do not contact the Board for status updates; login to your Connect account and refer to your dashboard for status updates. The statuses are as follows:
- Under Review-The application has been received by the Board and is pending review by licensing evaluator staff.
- Deficiency-Board staff has determined that the application is missing required information. Check the email from Board staff to resolve the deficiency.
- Final Review-The application is pending final review prior to certification.
- Approved-The application is approved for certification.
- If your application is determined to be deficient, Board staff will send you an email. To correct the deficiency, login to BPELSG Connect, follow all directions within the email and all directions within Connect, click the “Save & Next” button and the “ReSubmit” button. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all identified deficiencies are resolved within the BPELSG Connect system.
Questions and contact information: (916) 999-3600 or BPELSG.EIT.LSIT@dca.ca.gov.