Information and Instructions: California Geotechnical Engineer Application

GENERAL - California grants the authority to use the title "Geotechnical Engineer" to licensed civil engineers who successfully complete an examination process. This application is required with evidence of experience and references.

  • The name you use on this application must be the same as the name on your civil license. If you wish to change your name on your civil license, please complete, sign and send the Name Change Affidavit to the Board.
  • The address you use on the application will be your address of record. Licensees' names and addresses are public records and are published in both electronic and print media, as well as disclosed upon request to the Board. You may choose to use a home address, a post office box, or a business address. If you wish to change your address of record for your civil license, use the Address Change Affidavit.

This information is a summary of some of the important requirements relating to certification to use the title "Geotechnical Engineer." It is not intended to apply to every situation. You are responsible for complying with the current complete requirements in the Professional Engineers Act and the Board Rules and Regulations.
Eligibility - Each applicant for authority to use the title "Geotechnical Engineer" must:

  • hold a valid and current license as a civil engineer in California.
  • provide evidence showing four years of qualifying, full-time experience.
  • pass the required examination.
  • pay the required fees.

Neither U.S. citizenship nor California residence is required. However, disclosure of your social security number or individual taxpayer identification number is mandatory. U.S. citizens who do not have a social security number may contact their local United States Social Security Office at 1-800-722-1213 or Non-U.S. citizens without a social security number may request an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) from the Department of Treasury (Internal Revenue Service) at (215) 516-4846 or
Experience Requirements - Qualifying experience must be gained while you are validly and currently licensed as a civil engineer. You may count experience up to the date you file your application.
Qualifying Experience - consists of professional level employment "in responsible charge" of major projects. It does not include overtime, trainee, orientation programs, any work done before initial licensure as a civil engineer, or work done on exempt structures as defined in Section 6737.1 of the Business and Professions Code. Experience must cover at least 50% of the major areas of geotechnical engineering. You may receive one year of qualifying experience credit for a postgraduate degree if it is from a Board-approved curriculum in civil engineering which has a major emphasis in geotechnical engineering, and if the degree was not used for credit to obtain your civil engineering license. Transcripts must be submitted in a sealed envelope. No credit is allowed for teaching, but an instructor of geotechnical engineering in a Board-approved curriculum may receive qualifying experience credit on a proportional basis for geotechnical engineering consulting work that is substantiated by proper references.

Next Page