All applications and the required supporting documents must be submitted on the new forms prior to the final filing date. This includes applicants for whom the Board has a previous application form or reference forms on file, and applicants filing to take an examination that was previously failed.
Once the Board has approved your application with the requested new application forms on file, an applicant will not be required to submit new reference forms for two years.
All applications require a $250 fee, including those filed to take an examination that was previously failed.
Effective March 10, 2008, the $250 application fee and all examination fees are due at the same time. Examination fees are specified in the fee schedule for licensees and applicants. Applications to take an examination that was previously failed also require payment of the the examination fees as specified in the fee schedule, in addition to the $250 application fee. All fees are due at the time the application is received.
Exam Statistics - Updated June 10, 2014
October 2014 Examinee Instructions (ASBOG FG and PG Exams)
- Professional Geologists (PG) Checklist
- Geologist-In-Training (GIT) Checklist
- Certified Engineering Geologist (CEG) Checklist
- Certified Hydrogeologist (CHG) Checklist
- Professional Geophysicist (PGP) Checklist
Professional Geologist and Geophysicist Application
The Application Form is a fillable .PDF form. The latest version of the FREE Adobe Acrobat Reader should be installed to complete the forms.
PLEASE NOTE: If you experience problems with any of these forms, you should upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Application for Examination
- Refile Application for Administration of Geologic Examination
- Independent Evaluation
- Definitions of Critical Concepts
- Verification of Licensure or Passage of Examinations
- Request for Postponement of Examination
For additional information, please contact the Licensing/Examinations Unit at:
Toll Free Number: 1-866-780-5370 (no charge to the calling party)
Phone Number: (916) 263-2222
FAX Number: (916) 263-2246
What to do once you receive your application approval:
- Professional Geophysicist
- Professional Geologist
- Certified Engineering Geologist
- Certified Hydrogeologist